Monday, April 18, 2011

Author Success Story: Get a Charity Involved with Your Book Event

When I chose the date for my book release party, the first thing I did was ally with a charity that had something to do with kids. Even though I was not a major entity, it’s amazing how relatively easy it is to get a respected and viable organization (in my case, it was an adolescent obesity program at a prominent children’s hospital) to work with you when you are promising them some money and exposure.

I promised them that I would donate $5 for every book sold during a particular month. I invited friends, customers, family, and the Chamber of Commerce. I did an email blast through the town’s listserve, a press release to the local paper, posted about it on Facebook, and sent email to my current and past fitness clients and prospects. Because of the tie-in with the hospital and the kids, it was easy to get people to be open to come to the event. I even got a local television station to cover the story.

I sold 120 books in a few hours.

- Glenn Marcella, author of Duh, The Workout: Get in the Best Shape of Your Life by Acting Like a Child (http://www.duhtheworkout.com).

John's Comment: I love the title of his book. I'm ready to exercise. He also has a sub-subtitle to his book: The 50 Most Incredible and Ridiculous Exercises You Must Start Doing ... Again. The exercises in his book include The Temper Tantrum, Tag, Sticky Hands, and The Pillow Fight.
blog comments powered by Disqus