Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Marketing Moron of the Month Award

Below is an excerpt from my friend Paul Hartunian's Million Dollar Publicity Strategies ezine. I think Paul always has some interesting things to say.

I just read a brochure produced by an interior decorator. I now see why most of these people are starving. Here are the first two sentences I read in that brochure:

"Hello Everyone, Welcome to my world."

Moron. What do I possibly care about her world?

What do I really care about? What's the *only* thing I care about? If you said the only thing I care about is what she can do for me, you are right on target.

So many people approach the media people the same way. They actually think reporters, editors, talk show hosts, etc. really care about their book, their product, their service or their whatever. They don't care. Nobody cares. The only thing people care about is what you can do for them.

The only thing media people care about is what you can do for them, what information you have for them, how you can make them look good to their audiences. That's the way it should be.

When you give the media people what they want, they'll give you what you want. They'll give you space in their newspapers and magazines, time on their radio and TV shows. They'll plug your products or services for you and they'll do a darn good job of it.

If this interior decorator had sent out a press release offering to tell reporters the best way to pick a qualified designer or how not to get scammed by furniture salesmen posing a designers, she would have been a media hit. Instead, she welcomed people to "her world."

She gets my Marketing Moron of the Month award.

Look over your publicity and marketing material. Do they talk about why you are so wonderful? Or do you talk about what you can do for reporters or your customers?

I don't want you to be a candidate for the next Marketing Moron of the Month.


Paul has been called the King of Tough Love Publicity. For more information about Paul's products and services, see http://www.Hartunian.com/prkit.
blog comments powered by Disqus