Friday, March 14, 2008

Book Covers Sell Books

In today's interview featured in Shelf Awareness, Felicia Sullivan describes a book she bought for the cover:



"Serious Girls by Maxine Swann. The image of two schoolgirls clutching hands, their legs submerged in a pond, their backs flat on anemic grass, their eyes gazing up at a bleached sky, a smattering of red on a uniform (blood?), haunted me. I remember browsing the New Releases section in my local bookstore, and I kept walking by Serious Girls, disturbed, curious. I didn't know anything about the book or the author, but on that particular day, I knew that I wanted to learn more about those two girls."

I can see why the image transfixes her. Are they dead? Just relaxing on a hot summer's day? You really can't tell by the cover.

An interesting use of negative space with a nearly blank white top half.

Would you want to read this book? Does the cover sell you?
blog comments powered by Disqus